So you want to adopt a Golden Retriever?
This… might be the best decision of your life.
Goldens are incredible dogs, but since they’re so popular, it can be hard to find one to rescue.
So in this article, you’ll see:
- A list of Golden Retriever rescues in and around Pennsylvania
- 3 sneaky ways to find a Golden to adopt even if the rescues don’t have any available
- Our best tips on deciding if a Golden is right for you and how to take care of them once you get them
Golden Retriever Rescues In Pennsylvania
Here are the top three Golden Retriever rescues in Pennsylvania:
Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue
GRAPE (Golden Retriever Adoption, Placement, & Education)
Southwest PA Retriever Rescue Organization
This isn’t a Golden Retriever-specific rescue — they have all types of retrievers and retriever mixes.
Golden Retriever Rescues Near Pennsylvania
If all of the dogs in these rescues are spoken for — don’t worry!
There are several other nearby rescues that might have your dream dog.
Here’s where you can find them:
- Golden Retriever rescues in Ohio
- Golden Retriever rescues in West Virginia
- Golden Retriever rescues in Virginia
- Golden Retriever rescues in Maryland
- Golden Retriever rescues in New Jersey
- Golden Retriever rescues in New York
3 More Ways To Find A Rescue Golden Retriever
If none of the rescues above have a Golden Retriever available for you, then there are three other ways to find a rescue Golden that require a little luck, patience and creativity.
The first way is to comb your local animal shelters.
If they have golden retrievers available, they’ll go fast, so you’ll need to check early and often.
The second way is to get involved in your local Golden Retriever Facebook groups.
I’ve seen many owners want to find a new home for their Golden themselves, instead of going through a rescue group.
They’ll post in these groups trying to find a loving home for their pup, which is where you can step in and offer yours.
The third way is to get involved with your local Golden Retriever club.
This is another long shot, but they might have an inside scoop on Goldens that need a new home, plus the more Golden lovers you know, the more likely you are to find your own Golden.
And speaking of Golden Retriever clubs…
Golden Retriever Clubs In Pennsylvania
Not only can Golden Retriever clubs help you possibly find a dog, but when you do bring your pup home, they can be excellent resources.
Here’s how they can help:
- You can participate in dog sports and other events to socialize and exercise your dog
- You can get advice from experienced Golden Retriever owners
- You can get referrals for services like vets, groomers, and doggy daycares
Here are the two Golden Retriever Clubs in Pennsylvania
Greater Pittsburgh Golden Retriever Club
Lenape Golden Retriever Club
Golden Retriever Resources & Tips
If you’re still trying to decide if a golden retriever is the right dog for you, or if you want to learn more about the breed, check out these articles:
- The Complete Guide To Golden Retrievers (Puppies, Price, Facts, Shedding & More)
- Golden Retriever vs. Labrador Retriever [16 Factors To Help You Choose]
- Is A Golden Retriever Right For Me? [Quiz]
- How Much Do Golden Retrievers Cost? (Initial Price & Yearly Costs)
- 63 Golden Retriever Facts You (Probably) Didn’t Know
- 17 Tips To Manage Golden Retriever Shedding (& Keep Your House Clean)
Rescuing a Golden is one of the best things you’ll do.
They’re loving, loyal family dogs that bring loads of joy wherever they go.
And to find them, check your local Golden Retriever rescues, animal shelters, and Golden Retriever Facebook groups.
Have any questions about rescuing a golden retriever?
Have you rescued a golden before?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you want to learn more about whether or not a golden retriever is right for you, take this quiz!