So you’re thinking about rescuing a golden retriever…
That’s great news!
Goldens are big fluffy bundles of joy with lots of love to give.
They just might be the perfect dog, but there is one problem…
Rescue golden retrievers can sometimes be hard to find.
So to help you on this mission, we’ve listed the best golden retriever rescue in Illinois, as well as some other places to find a rescue golden.
You’ll also get our best resources to help you out once you do get your golden so you can be the best golden retriever parent you can be.
Let’s dive in!
Illinois Golden Retriever Rescues
Here’s the main golden retriever rescue in Illinois:
As Good As Gold Golden Retriever Rescue
Golden Retriever Rescues Near Illinois
As you can see, there’s just one dedicated golden retriever rescue in Illinois.
But thankfully, there are several in nearby states.
Here’s a list:
- Golden retriever rescues in Wisconsin
- Golden retriever rescues in Iowa
- Golden retriever rescues in Minnesota
- Golden retriever rescues in Missouri
- Golden retriever rescues in Kentucky
- Golden retriever rescues in Tennessee
- Golden retriever rescues in Ohio
- Golden retriever rescues in Michigan
Other Ways To Rescue A Golden Retriever
If As Good As Gold doesn’t have a golden retriever for you, and if the rescues in nearby states don’t have any dogs available or they’re too far away, don’t lose hope.
Here are two other options:
Option #1 is to join your local golden retriever Facebook groups.
Sometimes golden retriever owners will need to rehome their golden, but not want to give them up to an organization.
They might post in these local Facebook groups and try to find a new loving home for their dog themselves.
Of course, there’s your opportunity to step in and offer your home.
Option #2 to find a golden in need of a new home is to join your local golden retriever club…
Golden Retriever Clubs In Illinois
Golden retriever clubs can be great resources for both current and hopeful golden retriever parents.
If you’re looking to rescue a golden retriever, someone in the club may know of someone who needs to give their dog up.
It could be a long shot, but it’s in the same spirit of being active on the golden retriever Facebook groups — if you talk with enough golden retriever lovers, you just might get lucky and get word of someone who needs to rehome their dog.
Of course, once you get your dog, the clubs can be of even more help.
- Meet and get advice from experienced golden retriever parents
- Have opportunities for your dog to socialize with other goldens and participate in dog sports
- Get recommendations for services like vets, groomers, or doggy daycares
Here are the golden retriever clubs in Illinois:
Golden Retriever Club of Illinois
Land O’ Lincoln Golden Retriever Club
Golden Retriever Resources & Tips
If you’re still trying to decide if a golden retriever is the right dog for you, or if you want to learn more about the breed, check out these articles:
- The Complete Guide To Golden Retrievers (Puppies, Price, Facts, Shedding & More)
- Golden Retriever vs. Labrador Retriever [16 Factors To Help You Choose]
- Is A Golden Retriever Right For Me? [Quiz]
- How Much Do Golden Retrievers Cost? (Initial Price & Yearly Costs)
- 63 Golden Retriever Facts You (Probably) Didn’t Know
- 17 Tips To Manage Golden Retriever Shedding (& Keep Your House Clean)
We may be biased, but golden retrievers are the best!
They’re sweet and loving and a joy to be around.
But it’s not all butterflies and rainbows with a golden — they can be a lot of work (especially puppies).
Even so, a golden retriever that needs to be rescued may be a little hard to find, so I hope these resources will help you out.
Have any questions about rescuing a golden retriever?
Have you rescued a golden before?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you want to learn more about whether or not a golden retriever is right for you, take this quiz!